Positioned between Napa, Sacramento, and Contra Costa, Solano County is the Bay Area’s easternmost North Bay county.
A mix scenic hillsides and mountain ranges, beautiful waterfronts, lush valleys, and wide fertile farmlands define its landscapes.
Spurred by the Bay Area’s growth and high home prices, Solano County features some of the finest, most affordable family-friendly residential communities in the region.
It’s charming cities and historic small towns, like the City of Benicia – one of California’ first capitals, offer vibrant downtown waterfront experiences filled with shops, restaurants, beautiful parks, open spaces and more.
Not to mention the great nearby schools and big city amenities.
The county’s ideal location puts its residents half-way between San Francisco and Sacramento making it a great launching point for commuters.
Southwest cities like Vallejo and Benicia will take less than an hour to reach San Francisco and Silicon Valley, while northeast cities like Vacaville and Fairfield are closer to Sacramento.
Not to mention cities like Oakland and Martinez in Contra Costa and Alameda County just across the Carquinez Strait, adjacent to Solano County’s border.
Solano County- Real Estate in the Bay Area
Solano County’s great location and wonderful residential communities make it one of the Bay Area’s most desired locations.
Prospective buyers can expect to find a wide variety of real estate options, from single-family homes and luxury estates to condos townhouses, and vacant lots and land.
Best cities to live in Solano County include:
- Benicia – This city is one of California’s first capitals. Today, it’s famous art town home to a burgeoning community of artists. It’s downtown area is filled with great restaurants, shops, and boutique spas.
- Vallejo – The biggest city in the Solano County and the closest to San Francisco. It features a lively amenity filled downtown area and a diverse array of homes and vibrant neighborhoods.
- Fairfield – A vibrant city in the heart of Solano County that features something for everyone. Amenities include: great schools, parks, golf courses, a youth and senior center, thriving commercial businesses, and more. Travis Air Force Base is located 3 miles east of the city’s central business district.
- Vacaville – A beautiful city also located in the heart of Solano County. Home to friendly residents, neighborhoods, classic architecture and beautiful tree-lined streets.
When it comes to adventures, Solano County offers a lot of great options from outdoor recreation to fun and exciting things to see, do, and visit. Be sure to look out for at least one of these great locations the next time you come by.
- Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
1001 Fairgrounds Drive SW, Vallejo
- Western Railway Museum
5848 State Highway 12, Suisun City
- Benicia Capitol State Historic Park
115 W G St, Benicia
- Benicia State Recreation Area
1 State Park Rd, Benicia
- Brannan Island State Recreation Area
17645 California 160, Rio Vista
- Carquinez Strait Regional Shoreline
Carquinez Scenic Drive, Martinez
- Grizzly Island Wildlife Area
2548 Grizzly Island Rd, Suisun
Cities with the best restaurants include Benicia, Fairfield, Suisun, Vacaville, Winters, and Vallejo.
Parks and recreation areas:
- Lake Solano County Park
8685 Pleasants Valley Rd, Winters
- Sandy Beach Park
2333 Beach Dr, Rio Vista
- Rockville Hills Regional Park
2149 Rockville Rd, Fairfield
- Pena Adobe Regional Park
4699 Peña Adobe Rd, Vacaville
Solano County Homes for Sale
IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Listings on this page identified as belonging to another listing firm are based upon data obtained from the SFAR MLS, which data is copyrighted by the San Francisco Association of REALTORS®, but is not warranted.